Thursday, January 14, 2010

Getting so mad about WoW you almost unsubscribe

I almost rage quit WoW last night. No joke. I think the main issue is that I am heroic'd out. I will explain. I just spent 50 frost emblems. Now these are gained from high end raids (new stuff) a DAILY heroic will get you 2, and a WEEKLY raid will get you 5. You get some of the best gear with them. I bought my tanking cloak, and the emblem count flipped over to zero.

My heart sunk a little. As our relatively new guild is only doing some Ulduar 10 to get to know each other it takes me a while to build up that badge number. I can understand that. This isn't a welfare epic plea. This is just stating that if I have to run one more fucking 5 man I am going to gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

Being a tank makes running these 5 mans even more difficult. If guild members are not on you subject yourself to the world of PUG's. While for the most part they are ok some nights I just do not have it in me.

Case in point was last night. Buddy of mine got his battered hilt drop. So we have to work on that quest. The battered hilt is a quest starter for one of the best NON RAIDING weapons in the game but you have to do a quest to get it. I like that this is in the game now. However it also means tanking and grouping up for some annoying instances. So last night into Heroic Pit of Saron we go and I was stressed for time. I really did NOT want to run the whole thing. I wanted to get in, get my friend his ore, kill the first boss and jet. I had stuff to do and major woman agro.

Well we couldn't fill all the slots with guildies so we had to PUG a DPS member. Of course this requires explaining to this guy that if he goes we are only here to do the quest for the weapon and many of us may have to bail. I feel bad about this because it sucks to go and not finish and instance and get locked out. On the flip side I should have not PUG'd anyone and just 4 manned it.

So off we go and I admit I do a shitty job tanking. My head is just NOT in it and yet we push on. Two bosses down and people start bailing and I'm getting shouted at over my shoulder. Then it just clicks and I snap. I run into the gauntlet and the healer goes down and we wipe. People come back and start blaming others and the whole thing disintegrates into an e-shouting match. My nerves are frayed and I just say: "LOOK. I need to log, I DO NOT FEEL LIKE FINISHING THIS" and I disconnect and log out. There are some nights when I just CANNOT handle people, emo MMO players, or trudging through yet another damn heroic dungeon.

Sometimes you have to take a step back and wonder why you are playing the game you are playing. I put so much effort into WoW that I think I burn myself out. When that happens I have to step back and not log in for a few days. There is a lot of pressure on me to do so since I am primarily the tank on the most. No one else wants to do it. They fear it. If I do not log in the cries of no guild grouping start and it escalates from there.

Look I have been playing this game for 5 years. Not solid all the way through I have taken some breaks but I have raided as DPS, Healing and Tanking and all 3 of my 80's are geared for ICC 10. There are times when I just have to step back and think that maybe just maybe I play too much yeah? That cannot be good for anyone. However new people that log in and are hitting level 80 and want to "go go go" just do not understand that. I feel like that old grizzled Roman officer in the armor that is dented and rusted but he keeps on going.

Only I don't have wine and wenches. I think everyone should have wine and wenches.

8 comments:

  1. This is why when I play WoW i have to have another sub running, dont get me wrong WoW is 'my MMO' but with the cataclysm announcement it just killed any drive for character progression. I mean am I really gonna be interested in playing my human paladin when I can go a Worgen Rogue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh I got pinged by Syp. This will not be good

    ReplyDelete
  3. "So off we go and I admit I do a shitty job tanking. My head is just NOT in it and yet we push on."

    That's really the point where you should say to your friend, "Lets run this quest another day," and log out and spend more time sorting out the female aggro.

    It's keeping playing when you know fine well you don't want to that burns people out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly I don't see what is to get upset about. If you don't want to do the instance just let your friend join in a pug. The saronite is easy to gather, the group will kill the first boss, reforge... done. It can even be done in a normal run, very easily 4 manned. Definitely sounds like you need a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The entire article is not about the quest. It is about how one night in WoW can go horribly wrong even when trying to help a buddy. It isnt about telling him to PUG it. That is not what a guild is for. For most people I am sure they think it is. But we like to help.

    But yes I do need a break in fact I have recently quit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, guilds are for helping people around, talk and be with them. It's when the helping part turns on the tank(s)/healer(s) (usually tanks). Suddenly you find yourself in a position that the guild won't progress unless you are the one "helping" all the time.

    So there is a position only one person fills up and suddenly that is what a guild is about. The pressure that is given to this one person is immense. It is not necessary in so many words, but it's there.

    You log in after a couple of days break. "So what have you guys been doing?" "Oh, we tried ... and we totally failed.. we had no good tank/healer.." Something in that department.

    You dont need to tell people to PUG it, but you need to learn to tell people "not today."

    ReplyDelete
  7. na you should just go back to playing the best class in WoW aka the Rogue! Everything is made simple and yes while you may not be as 'needed' top end rogues are few and far between and are a mainstay in raids due to the high singletarget dps for bosses.

    Also if your on a PvP realm its great to stealth about picking people off while they try to finish off a quest :)

    ReplyDelete