Thursday, January 21, 2010

Star Trek fanboys assault true beta testers

I love how Sypster (or Darren or I for example) point out blatant errors about a game and blind pre order fanatics berate you at every turn.

This is a syndrome of players that play MMO's for 7-11 levels and think they are all awesome. Then move on to the next game. This is why I actually made this blog is to go after things like this that happen to people that actually approach new MMO's subjectively. I would do the same thing for Star Wars also. Sure I love Star Wars but I am not going to sit there on a podcast (like the blind fans over on STOked) and say "I would pay 100 dollars a month to play this game its AWESOME!) if it wasn't technically sound or ready for prime time.

And STO is NOT ready for prime time. Yet. I want it to succeed trust me and it does have its moments of coolness. Right now though I see Cryptic written all over this title and some things just need to be worked on. I am not going to list every issue just go to the forums. I have talked too much about this game and frankly I'm tired of it lets just get on to the next patch and see if things are worked on.

To see the flaws in an MMO you have to look at every angle: economy, PVP, PVE, character progression, gear, and lore. People that bandwagon into these games don't take the time to see what is wrong with them and help point out things to be fixed. Instead what they do is fork money over play for a month then move onto the next message board for some new messiah game. There they can continue to chastise people that actually bug report and find errors with their "beloved" game.

And Star Trek Online has a boat load of them.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with your sentiment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blamez the intrawebz!!

    Really, this was not like this 5 or 6 years ago (well, not this bad). Fanboyism is a disease, and we all need to take a stand.

    Send me donations now to help eliminate this threat to our very society!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry, but I have to disagree.

    Every new game I've ever been interested enough to read the forums has had the same basic types of conversations, no matter how excellent, or how flawed, the game. You'll have people who try to point out the flaws -- sometimes quite reasonably -- in hopes the developers will see them for what they are and somehow get the necessary backing to fix them (and let's all remember something here -- coders don't choose their work; their managers do). On the flip side you'll have people rabidly declaring the game is perfect the way it is and anyone who can't see that is deluded or trolling.

    The STO forum is no different. It's just slightly exacerbated by the added layer of Trek fandom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh. You've made a decent point Uncle Mikey. All forums, whether the game is new or not, does indeed show that there are unintelligent beta testers, great beta testers, fanboi's of either the genre or IP, trolls, and everything in between.

    STO's however has exploded in the extremes of all directions. Trekkie fandom is defiantly a straight a true reason for one of it. I think the bigger push however is that most PC gamers, (and further on MMO gamers) are looking for polished games when they hit release. Not a month of "open beta" and then 6 months of retail beta.

    Solid points though Uncle. Solid indeed.

    ReplyDelete