Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Steam hardware survey results

The Steam results for January 2010 were what we could expect to see. They are up on the Steam site here:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

The thing that got me was the sharp rise of Windows 7 64 bit operating systems as it creeps up behind 32 bit XP. Windows XP 32 bit still sits at 42% of the machines surveyed but Windows 7 64 bit made a steep climb up almost 4 % passing Vista and grabbing almost 20% of the machines.

Anyway just something to skim over during what has been a slow week for me here at The Banstick.
Each month, Steam collects data about what kinds of computer hardware our customers are using. The survey is incredibly helpful for us as game developers in that it ensures that we're making good decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make. Making these survey results public also allows people to compare their own current hardware setup to that of the community as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not surprised Windows 7 64bit is doing well. Most of the people who use Steam will be big gamers and want the best OS possible and since Vista was crap and XP doesn't support the latest version of DX, Win7 is the logical choice.

    Makes me kinda suspicious about running Steam though when it's pulling in all this data...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed up to submit my data I believe a while back. No biggie or any difference than Blizzard collecting data on that WoW login I don't think

    ReplyDelete