Sunday, January 2, 2011

Upcoming this week: Steel Panthers talk and Windows 7

Steel Panthers talk. That's right I am going back and getting into Steel Panthers again this time with the Shrapnel Games winSPWW2 version to get that critical Windows compatibility and higher resolution. Will all be well with the aging title on a newer PC? Perhaps not. Already loading the free version I had many graphical glitches.

Upon loading the screen I was welcome to was the following:



Immediately I thought that I would not be purchasing the old title and I could not get back into it. It takes a bit of digging but this issue is well known on the Shrapnel Forums and a work around has been provided.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=45462

I little application new .CMD program, edited so that it launched SPWW2 and not SPMBT, and I was back under way although still under 800x600 resolution until my boxed copy arrived in the mail:



Keep in mind that there are TWO versions of Steel Panthers. One is a code taken over and developed by Matrix Games for Steel Panthers World at War which includes all the Mega Campaigns in the game that were released a while back.

This thread: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2590391 explains all that

The other version that is being actively worked on and fixed up is the Shrapnel Games version that has been adapted to Windows. This is the main reason I went with this version. I figured if I had it and they were around the support would keep coming in the way of official patches. A wide screen monitor patch is due out soon and the game got many patches this past year:

http://www.shrapnelgames.com

About widescreen play:
Yes, both games will have that option for CD owners when the patches of both games are released in the new year

So while I was gone the world of Steel Panthers got pretty confusing. Remember also that mods for World at War or the Shrapnel Version will NOT work between the two. I think the community has done a great job in keeping both versions alive and well for tons of wargamers all over. I will post more on my foray into the game a little later this week.

For more Steel Panthers links see our page up top labeled WARGAMING SITES.

6 comments:

  1. If you want to test out PBEM...hit me up at blitz (gabeeg)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall but I must warn you I am terrible. The last time I played this game PBEM I got smoked. I am going through the tutorial again this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, I won in group B during the boot camper tournament on blitz and got cocky...lost the next 3 games since beating fellow newbs is nothing like the veterans on blitz (who by the way are the friendliest most helpful bunch you could ever want to play with). Your in good sucking company :) I have only played a total of 5 pbem games with WinSPWW2 and I have always liked WinSPWW2..but after PBEM I love it. Wonder why I waited so long. WinSPWW2 and HPS/JTS SB are just damn fun PBEM. Speaking of which, Red Victory is excellent for PBEM if you have not tried it outside of solo against that AI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not tried any Squad Battles yet as I am still a pretty bad rookie. About the only PBEM games I win at all are Panzer Campaigns in PBEM or Field Of Glory by Slitherine. I always choke up when the time comes to actually play well. I have only really won one game of PBEM Smolensk 41 and thats about it. Although I usually cut it close. Red Victory and Advance of the Reich are awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way Camo/Shrapnel released the Widescreen beta for WinSPWW2 today (not just for WinSPMBT anymore)! http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=46875

    so far so good...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to play SP to death - I have never had the time to be able to get it to work properly (by properly -I guess I also mean with the ability to take screen shots that don't end up like your top one -which sort of reminds me of what an acid trip must look like).

    I'd rather stay with my disks as I found the free updated versions did way too much tweaking for my liking (or maybe I never got enough of playing the disks even now).

    Bill Wilder had some great add on disks out for those series, including at least one campaign that did not make it on to an SSI add on disk (can't remember if it was a Barbarossa campaign or Stalingrad ... will have to check some day).

    ReplyDelete