Saturday, September 22, 2018

John Tiller's Panzer Campaigns Smolensk 41 Gold: Part 1

Got the gold version recently and old addiction kicked back in. The scenario I picked was a 25 turn monster called Orsha Crossing. I would need all that time. The gold version features updated unit graphics and art as well as sound and some game mechanic changes.

70km SW of Smolensk: On July 7th, 1941, elements of PanzerGruppe 2 force the Dnepr between Orsha and Mogilev. The Russian forces are strung thinly along the Dnepr River while firmly entrenched and anchored at Orsha and Mogilev. The Germans have the option of assaulting these cities, or striking across the Dnepr penetrating deep into Russian territory. This is a medium sized scenario that covers the south area in the early part of the campaign, from Mogilev in the south to Orsha. [9000 sq Km - 25 Turns]

The vast distances I had to cross to get across the map were insane and I really needed to conserve my strength. My forces were strong and well to go being 1941 the Wehrmacht was at the height of its power.


The map though was so daunting.



My first target of course was Mogilev and getting across the Dnepr. Many turns passed before I was finally in the thick of things but pushing forward I managed to get two bridges laid across the Dnepr: One mid map near Kopys and then one way south of that with no town to be named. To the north my units were storming toward Orsha and the fat 100 point objective there. Elements of the 39th Panzer and 63rd Infantry had already made contact and were working toward the downtown part of the city.



The 11th SS had taken Mogilev already and I was working on clearing out surround Russian units. You can see this below. This part of my attack had the least to gain and was rather disorganized. 



Way up north I was banking on taking Orsha. It was being a bit stubborn but I had most of the Russian units cut off and had a bridgehead established. My units were across the Dnepr in two places and ready to plunge into the heart of the Soviet Union. At Kopys I had a bridge established as well and was sending recon units far ahead. A little south of that was another bridgehead. I had to move fast as I only had 25 turns. You can see the engineers below with the tiny bridge icons allowing my tanks and artillery to cross over. I pushed the Soviets aside, made a corridor and raced through it into the open steppes. More to come later!






No comments:

Post a Comment